Letting Holiday Homes in Scotland
If you are thinking of letting your Holiday Cottage for 2017 then now is the best time to get in touch as our new brochure is being prepared. We are also pleased to offer a FREE Visit Scotland grading for selected cottages if they are listed with us by the end of August, so do contact us now for a free no obligation appraisal – Tel 01556 504030
It may seem a daunting prospect setting up your holiday home to take paying visitors however you can rely on Discover Scotland’s staff to guide you through the process with the minimum of fuss and trouble. Throughout this process you can rely on our experienced staff as they have handled a vast range of properties from one bedroom bothys to mansion houses sleeping twenty or more. We aim to ensure that our owners are kept up to date with changes in legislation and have continuously extended and improved our service since the business was started in the 1980s.
We pride ourselves on providing professional practical advice in an understandable and friendly way to all owners to help them get the most out of their holiday properties both in terms of enjoying letting and also ensuring the maximum weeks let possible. If you are thinking of utilising Discover Scotland to market your property then you can be sure of the following:
- Professional and helpful approach from all staff.
- Fully computerised live update website with owner access to update bookings.
- Regular monthly payouts to owners of all monies received against their property when received, we do not delay
- payments to the start of the visitors holiday or indeed after it like some agents do.
- Wide advertising both through the internet and national press including using satellite websites to boost properties or indeed arranging additional site listings on other sites where owners require further coverage; although this may be at an extra charge.
- Clear terms and conditions in our contract with no hidden charges or indeed upfront charges at any time.
- All our charges are taken from rents received.
- Owners are certain of receiving their weekly rents after a booking has been placed even if the visitor cancels that booking from our unique cancellation fund.
- Flexible approach to individual properties to ensure that they are marketed and presented in the most appropriate manner.
- There is no restriction or charge for owners own bookings unlike some agents.
WHY LET YOUR HOLIDAY HOME
Our clients range from those who only wish to let one or two weeks to help to cover the cost of running their holiday home be it to help towards mortgage costs or replacements of furnishings and fittings for their own benefit. Other owners are purely commercial and aim to let fifty two weeks of the year where possible. Whatever your aims we are here to help with our depth of experience with dealing with all sorts of properties.
If you are letting your holiday home then there are tax advantages so long as the necessary requirements are met. These are currently changing and if you require further advice please do feel free to contact us. Where tax breaks are available then expenses may be set off against the income and also Capital Gains Tax may be reduced on the sale of the property. When deciding what and where to buy you may already have a clear idea of the type of property you would like to buy for your own holidays. Even if this is the case you should undertake simple research to identify areas that are popular in the target locality and also local attractions to keep visitors occupied during their holiday. Wherever the property is situated if you require pre-purchase advice or assistance then our experienced staff are happy to help.
Once the property is purchased then prior to letting our staff are happy to advise on relevant regulations together with standards of fixtures and fittings and the inventories to provide suitable holiday accommodation.
To avoid any upsets the following self-catering legal requirements need to be carefully addressed:
- Trade Description Acts.
- Insurance buildings contents and importantly public liability.
- Council Tax regulations.
- Income Tax regulations.
- Electrical equipment five yearly circuit tests and Portable Appliance Tests (PAT).
- Gas Safe Certificates for gas appliances and central heating.
- Fire Risk Assessment including preparation of a Fire Action Plan and provision of Smoke/Heat detectors to meet the standards of "Fire Laws Scotland". If you need assistance with compliance we are happy to provide guidance during our initial inspection of the property and in more detail after confirmation that you are listing with us.
- Furniture and furnishings fire safety regulations to ensure that all furnishings are fire retardant.
- Cots and highchairs must be safe and suitable to the relevant British Standards.
- Bunk beds must be properly constructed and to the relevant British Standard.
- General Health and Safety for trips and falls (watch out for the unprotected edge/mind the gap!).
- Although the foregoing may seem daunting our practical approach gained from our long experience of managing properties can ensure that in the majority of cases we are able to help you to meet the relevant requirements simply and easily.
- To arrange to list your property with Discover Scotland please use the link below to receive an owners information leaflet and to arrange for one of our staff members to visit you and undertake an initial no obligation appraisal of your property.